WINTOUR 3.0 spends the week visiting Penedès, the Wine Tourism region
From 22nd to the 26th of October, the WINTOUR students in Tarragona have been attending seminar in the Penedès region, one of the most important Wine Tourism regions in Catalunya.
During the seminars the students were able to participate in the workshops and lectures imparted by some recognized professionals in the field, which were Josep Rodriguez, Meritxell Falgueras, Jordi Bort Fernando, Damia Serrano Miracle, Paul Wagner and Octavi Bono.
These are the topics they developed:
- Octavi Bono - General Director of the Catalan Agency of Tourism - "The wine tourism in Catalonia"
- Paul Wagner - "Napa Valley - a case study in collaboration!" and "How can modern media change wine tourism?"
- Damià Serrano - "The model and structure of the wine tourism product" and "Wine tourism 4.0"
- Joan Ribas - Fundació Alícia - "The history of the Catalan cuisine"
- Jordi Bort - General Director of Euroselection at the oficial distribution company for Ridel Wine glasses - "Wine glasses workshop"
- Meritxell Falgueras - "Anti aging and wine"
- Josep Rodriguez - Barcelona Provincial Council - "Activities for promoting tourism development in the rural territory of the Barcelona Province".
They also had the pleasure to attend a lecture by "Enoturisme Penedès", an important regulatory body in the region well-known for its Cava (sparkling wine). They also visited the Cava Interpretation Center & Freixenet in Sant Sadurní d'Anoia and the museum Vil·la Casals.
Moreover, the seminar includes visits to some of the most important wineries in the area, including some of our associated partners, such as Caves Gramona, Mas Rabell, Caves Codorniu, Celler Torres, Vinseum and Celler Augustus Forum, which showed their installations to the students and explained their Wine Tourism strategy. This provided a first touch with some stakeholders of the wine industry in the region, which could potentially be future internship hosts. The program included a visit to Simó Coll, a chocolate factory, that links the Wine Tourism with the Food Industry.
This has been a great opportunity to deepen the students' knowledge about the region, enlarge their network and discover the specific of some of the stablished companies Wine Tourism strategies but also, it has been a great opportunity to taste new different wines and enjoy The Land of Cava!
Photo credits to Paraskoviia Bystrova and Khanh Vi Le Hoang - WINTOUR 3.0 students.